How many times have you heard, "Men fall in love with their eyes?" A lot, I'll bet.
It's true, to a certain extent. Men are visual creatures, and their initial attraction to any woman will be primarily inspired by her appearance. Primarily. Men don't fall for women they don't find visually appealing.
That doesn't mean, however, that looks are the only thing that matter. Hardly. As the saying goes, you can only look for so long.
The reality is, it really is what's on the inside that determines whether or not a man falls in love with a woman. And stays in love.
We've done our homework and asked men what they find attractive. Here are some of the more surprising (or maybe not so surprising) answers:
1) Kindness. Sure, there was that popular book that claimed that men preferred unkind women. But that's not what we hear. Most mature guys aren't interested in a relationship with a demanding diva.
2) Independence. Men are attracted to women who can take care of themselves. Who have well developed lives and their own interests. A woman who has nothing better to do than sit by the phone and wait for her man to call isn't attractive.
3) Confidence. Confident people project that confidence and it shines through them, making them more attractive. This is true for both men and women. It's said so often that it really is a cliche, but you do have to love yourself first. Self-doubt (or worse, serious issues with self-esteem) make you seem less attractive than you otherwise would.
4) Supportive. We all want someone to support our dreams and goals. Men, particularly, are seeking someone who will support them in their decisions.
5) Sincerity/Authenticity. Somewhere, there's a dating advice columnist telling women to be aloof, mimic all of a man's interests and laugh at all of his jokes (even the really bad ones). Those games might indeed work, at times. But when you ask men what they seek in a partner, they say they want someone authentic and sincere. Someone who will be their true selves, be comfortable with admitting differences, laugh when they're amused and always real.